(SMVcon) Developers cooperating with AG Meinungsfindungstool

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Mar 5 08:38:39 EST 2013

Marc and Alex,

Marc said:
> So the overall question to be answered from your side is: Do you
> want to participate in such kind of standardized ontology to enable
> easy data exchange with any participating tool?
>
> I would like to welcome you. What do you think?

Thank you.  It depends on how you answer my previous question.  As I
point out, unless we address the network effects at the root of the
problem, then (regardless of the ontology) all users will be forced
onto the same platform.  Users and citizens will be robbed not only of
their freedom, but also of the opportunity to be the authors of that
freedom.  How can we cooperate to prevent that?

Alex said:
> Maybe this is the way to bring forward "vote mirroring"

That's one possible answer.  I don't know if that's Marc's answer.
It's often difficult for competitors to understand each other.  But we
must be clear on this issue.  A platform cannot succeed without users.
There are two ways to obtain those users:

  (1) Eliminate the network effects between platforms, thus levelling
      the playing field and enabling the users to range freely from
      platform to platform.

      This is the right way.

  (2) Rely on network effects to force all users onto our own
      platform, thus establishing it as a de-facto monopoly.

      This is harmful and unecessary, and therefore wrong.

These are the only ways.  There are no grey areas in between.  If our
choice is not (1), then it is (2), and no responsible engineer will
cooperate with us.  Instead he'll point to the danger and warn us not
to proceed.

What should we do?

Mike