Release of first TalkTrack version and harvesting framework

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Nov 11 01:24:17 EST 2012

It's wonderful to see this running, Conseo!  It won't be easy for
others to appreciate at this early stage, but the harvesters and talk
track are crucial to Votorola.  You can see the talk track at bottom
right of the stage here:

   http://zelea.com/w/Mann

What does it do?  It shows where people are talking and trying to
reach consensus on various issues.  Currently it shows only 3 messages
because it's running on a brand new vote-server, which is where
Conseo's new software is installed.  We have two servers now:

   http://zelea.com/w/Mann   (new Mannheim server admin'd by C)
   http://zelea.com/w/Tor    (old ref server admin'd by me)

Note the old server doesn't have the new software yet (no talk track).
When it does, we'll see all the old consensus-making messages we've
ever posted to the mailing lists, plus any new ones we post in future.

The talk track's content will easily be the most important content on
stage, because 90% of our job is to support discussions.  So we expect
lots of integration with other tracks, props and scenes in future.

> Btw. can we do something to clarify that this track contains
> discussion without cluttering the layout? ...

I have plans for link lighting, which might help: (2nd paragraph)
http://mail.zelea.com/list/votorola/2012-September/001412.html
The talk link (in link track) will light up whenever the mouse crosses
the talk track.   Similar for other tracks and props.

> ... What about the update button? I thought about triggering an
> update once you look at the newest post (select or even hover it),
> but this might be confusing.

It would be ideal to remove the button, I agree.  I'm not sure about
giving the newest post special behaviour.  It could lead to conflict
with other hover cases, and won't work when there's no posts.  Another
possibility: a patch to the right (i.e. in "future") that's empty till
you hover, then it looks like a button.  Hover longer and a tooltip
explains the purpose, "Kick the message harvester".  (Meantime (or if
the button stays), I think it should not change size.  It's unexpected
and (at least for me) distracting.)

Something wrong with the bridge.  The stage doesn't show for me:
http://v.polyc0l0r.net:8080/v/w/D?a=6013&b=6017

I'll wait till you say it's ready C, then I'll pull your changes and
set up the ref harvester.  Good work!

Mike