Metagov as a technical staging ground

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Nov 5 18:38:52 EST 2012

Thomas von der Elbe said:
> I like it. But what choice would the user have atm? I think Votorola
> is the only software which integrates so easily with wikis etc,
> isn't it?  ...

We'd have an initial advantage.  That's one of the drawbacks.  ;^)
But seriously, it fits with Metagov's model of adhocracy (as I think
Ed calls it).  Those who *can* do the work, actually do it.

> ... Ofc, we could offer other projects our collaboration (as we
> already do all the time) in that, that they could use these tracks
> and connect them to their software. Is this the plan?  ...

That's basicially it.  Technically we were thinking of installing the
tool switch at the stage level (not track), so other projects aren't
forced to use the Crossforum Theatre design.  They could copy it and
use it if they wished (and we'd help them), but they could also build
from scratch.  They'd have complete freedom.

> ... The tracks would then be actually part of the OVN instead of
> Votorola and the different softwares behind the tracks would have to
> exchange votes etc., right?

Or we could wait and ask the other project, the first that joins us.
They might not want it labeled "Outcast Voting Network".

So we'd still be blocked till we find that other project; i.e. still
in the situation of, "We have T3 sailing, but we can't find T2." *
But we'd have gained 3 things:

   1. The initial cooperation we expect is not vote mirroring, but
      simply a tool switch that allows for shared exposure on Metagov.
      So we lower the barrier.

   2. We get exposure on Metagov for Votorola.

   3. We get exposure for the idea of cross-project cooperation for
      the sake of healthy competition as opposed to winner-take-all
      brutality.  (Conseo, this is fundamentally economic, right?)

What do you guys think?  Should we ask Metagov?

 * http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2012-October/005114.html

Mike