Votorola stable release (and papers about the field)

Peter Zbornik pzbornik at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 02:45:22 EDT 2012

Hi Michael,

just a clarification:

I wrote:
> By the way (probably an other topic), one way to allow cycles in
> delegated votes and still being able to calculate the number of
> votes of each person is to use the page rank algorithm which google
> uses:

http://chato.cl/papers/boldi_bonchi_castillo_vigna_2011_viscous_democracy_social_networks.pdf

You answered:
Boldi et al. use something similar to Brin and Page's "dampening".
The vote loses strength as it goes from delegate to delegate.  We have
a different aproach where the vote is stopped and "held" before it
can cycle: http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht#cycle

My comment:
You don't necessarily need to use "dampering".
In theory you can use the stationary distribution of the Markov
chain (which is equivalent to setting the dampering constant to one), see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain#Steady-state_analysis_and_limiting_distributions
and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markov_chain#Internet_applications .

Basically each row of the transition matrix contains the shares of all the
votes of a specific voter that he/she gives to each of the other voters
(including him/herself).
From the transition matrix you get the stationary distribution by finding
its eigenvalues and those eigenvalues are the final distribution of the
votes.
I guess the stationary distribution might be thought of as the average
share of all votes that a voter receives in each turn when the votes are
delegated.

Best regards
Peter Zbotník