Mini-beta development plan

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Jan 29 17:13:51 EST 2012

Dear all,

I have some mockups ready.  These illustrate some proposed designs for
the toolbar (1a), bridge footing controls (1b) and single sign-on
(1d), all of which are aimed directly at usability.  (See the orignal
post quoted at bottom.)

In addition, they introduce two new theatre tracks.  These are not
strictly for usability purposes and will therefore be coded last.
They are intended to attract new users and also to provide back-links
to discussion media, both of which are new functions unprovided by the
existing code.  (Crossforum Theatre is supposed to provide these
functions in its feeds and maps, but those are a little further in the
future.)

The first mockup is of Votorola's home page:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/home-1.xht

Stuff happens when the mouse moves.  This is the attractor:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/home-2.xht

A user who clicks around will begin learn what it's about:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/home-3.xht

If only because he/she will soon bump into others who are talking:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/home-4.xht

The second mockup is of the difference bridge.  It looks similar to
the previous mockup, which of course is the main idea:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/_/TheatreToolbar/diff-1.xht

That's all I have, so far.  I still need to draw a position draft and
votespace.  But I just wanted to share these drawings, because it's
been taking longer than I planned.  What do you think so far?

Personally, I get a good feeling from tracks as a design pattern.
They have almost no effect on page layout so we can deploy them over
almost anything.  (If we do a browser plugin, for example, then we can
deploy directly over top of web forums, or over any web based medium
or application.)  And if a track doesn't happen to work out, then it's
no big deal; we just throw it away and code a new one.  Easy come,
easy go.