Mini-pollwiki and architecture

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Jan 11 10:06:53 EST 2012

Hi Alex,

Last time we spoke of this, the architecture lacked a documentary
overview, which I think led to misunderstandings.  Sorry for that.  We
now have an overview.  See the left-hand links for defs, specs and
impls: http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/architecture.xht

Crossforum theatre is one of the blue planes floating at top.  The
Votorola vote-server is one of the blue cylinders labeled "V".  They
are optional and needn't be present.

The architecture is open and interconnected by web APIs.  If an API is
missing or inadequate, then we can fix it, no problem.  The pollwiki
APIs are complete, however, and Votorola has no special access to the
pollwiki's data.  (The pollwiki is primarily a shared database and
naming system, and is the only mandatory component in the
architecture.)

If what you're doing involves people reaching agreements, then our
stuff can definitly be made to work together.  There are no immediate
design requirements on your part.  It doesn't matter what platform you
code on (Drupal is fine), and you can code anything you like.  It will
help if you identify your users by email address, but that's optional.
You needn't even recognize the centrality of the pollwiki if you don't
wish to.  Although it's central to *this* architecture, we can always
cross-link with competing architectures.  We have complete flexibility
in that regard.

If you share a design sketch, then I can help in pointing out the
necessary interfaces.

Mike