Mini-pollwiki

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 22:21:42 EST 2012

Mike and all,

I think attempting a focus on a 20 (smallworld) user groups is a great
idea.

This was also the imagined size of my test case, P2P Housing, that I
setup and tested on the pollwiki.

It seems to me that you are now working to abstract the entire
pollwiki interface for small groups.

I think this is a laudable goal: yay!

It seems to me that the project has gone a long way around back to a
central issue:

The centrality of the pollwiki and then the interface with the
pollserver.

Here's my stab at what the pollwiki does:

User logins
User "grouping"
Drafting
Rectification of login with draft
Rectification of login with pollserver
Data exchange with pollserver

It seems to me that these are the basic functions of any "pollwiki".
What am I
Missing?

What I am wondering is, why not just make the pollserver work better
with services and thereby define a general set of requirements for a
pollwiki type app.  Call it an API for front end apps like the
pollwiki.  It seems this is getting jumped over with a project to
abstract the cross-forum.

I still just want to be able to build a Drupal based app that talks
directly to the pollserver and other votorola services servers,
replacing any need for me to deal with the pollwiki and pollwiki
related issues.

I want to
Register and group my own users in my own app
Draft my own petitions in my own app
Submit draft urls to the pollserver
Submit login approve/deny/grouping information to the pollserver or
other utilities

I tried very hard to push this forward before.  I am quite capable of
building such an app on my own.  I just needed to know where to push
the data.  The answer I kept getting was that I had to go through the
pollwiki.  Then and now this added to much complexity.

What I understand now (and surely I am wrong in some ways and not
using the correct language) is that you are planning to build yet
another customized front end, and that you, the core deceloper, will
be able to make it , the new app, talk to the pollwiki but I won't.  I
can't simply clone out that function and rebuild it in my own tools
because you are building a special case that will again talk to or
through the pollwiki or other tools that don't yet have a clear API.

My request:

Let the end users build their own front end.  Focus on the spec for
how that can work and call it an API.  Build an API for all the
servers you are running.

We out here with communities with build front ends to meet the needs
of our communities.  Please help us by making yoir APIs useable.

We, the user communities, want:

Global login IDs that are federated
Our own access control lists
Our own front end
Our user user management tools
Our own vote tally algorithms thay access our own voter access lists
Global vote mirroring services (anyone can vote but not all votes are
tallied)
Access to render vote trees filtered for access lists

These are simple things and no doubt yoi will be using these functiobs
in te cross forum interface.  What I see is that this group could be
organized in some way as a consensus group that votes and resources
API services.  Instead I see a group trying to build attractive user
interfaces to lure alpha testers when there is no services API.

Alex