Cluttered position pages and other wiki problems

Alexander Praetorius citizen at serapath.de
Wed Dec 19 04:11:32 EST 2012

Just a short question....
(I know, or at least i think i remember: G stands for global)

Why the heck w/G/p/c ???
Do you fear you might run out of characters?
Really, this is extremly disturbing and i cannot read it and i regularly
forget whats what.
I know there is not much space on the screen, but seriously, some things
should not be abbreviated, or at least use useful "icons" where people
probably get it
(for example: a small letter symbol stands for email - a small telephone
symbol for telephone numbers... )

Really, then - if you onMouseOver - a more lengthy description could be
given, but these abbreviations is what seriously hinders people to
undestand what all this cryptic stuff is all about :-)

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:

> I guess we agreed on Saturday to approach this by posing it as a
> specific problem instead of a solution.  Maybe the problem is creating
> a position draft when you're a newcomer and unfamilar with MediaWiki.
> (Our original solution for that was to automate it.  It's maybe the
> last unfinished item for the mini-beta.  We'd put it on hold because
> it didn't seem the highest priority at the time, since we weren't
> asking anyone to create drafts, and it's maybe 12 days work.)
>
> Whatever the problem, and if G/p/c is the top priority, then should we
> try to squeeze it in here somewhere?  http://zelea.com/w/G/p/c
>
> Mike
>

> Thomas von der Elbe said:
> > Ok, I must admit, it is much better, cleaner and clearer now already!
> >
> > But I would still like to go further.
> >
> > * The discussion-tab is misleading imo, because it is *not* the place,
> > where you are supposed to discuss this position. I'd like to get rid of
> > it completely, and then the word "User page" could also go.
> >
> > * The headline could be clearer. Instead of
> > "User:Frank-FlippityNet/Sys/p/sandbox" it could say something like "
> > Position of Frank-FlippityNet in Poll Sys/p/sandbox"
> >
> > * "Navigation" could be gone, because it is already happening in the
> > poll-track. "last changes" and "search" could go to the "tools". And if
> > all the tools could be hidden in a drop down menu, this would be best.
> >
> > My 2 cents,
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Thomas

Best Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen