Mini-beta and redesign of Crossforum Theatre

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Mon Apr 16 05:55:34 EDT 2012

Hello,

schrieb Michael Allan:
> Yes, I finished remote wikis yesterday and will post about it today.
> Next is votespace and other count pages.
> http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Votespace?p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-b-ZeleaCom
> http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Rank?19&p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-b-ZeleaCom

Cool! Thats what I meant.

> After I put the old votespace on stage, the next thing is to automate
> the creation of initial position drafts.  Part of that, I figure, is
> to automatically cast an initial vote (with approval)

Automatically create a position if someone votes ... yes! ... but at
what point would the new user be asked to vote? If he just visits a draft?

> Maybe mini votespace matters more than full votespace?  Active users
> won't often be visiting a dedicated votespace view (why would they?)

For myself it is clear, that I want to have an overview, where I can see
where I am in the whole power-structure of the whole poll. Where my
candidates candidate is etc.

Ofc it would be perfect to have the whole votespace in a track or so on
top of every other window. But thats not possible, I guess. So a
Mini-votespace will have to do there.

Especially when one casts or shifts his vote (which I expect to happen
very often in the beginning of a poll) the big picture is useful. So to
have the full votespace connected to the voting-facility (like it is
now) is the best imo.

> I don't understand what you mean by 20 voters "all with the same
> position".  Even a single circle (candidate and voters) has positions
> that diverge somewhat.  Any 20 positions that deserved center place in
> a larger poll would likely diverge even more.

With vote-circle I meant: I vote for you, you vote for C, C votes for me.
And in the old vote-space the way this circle shows up is quite
irritating. The only thing I can think of, would be to show all three of
us as end-candidates (with the same amount of votes ofc) but somehow
graphically connected, so the circular vote becomes clear.

... Now, with a real poll in mind, this case (circular vote) becomes my
favorite one. It bridges the two extremes: 1. every voter has his own
position (Votorolas design) and 2. a position belongs to all its voters
and can therefore never be changed again (most other designs out there).

The second design is ofc unbearably limited, but its advantage is: the
feeling is clearly, that one is voting for a position instead of voting
for a person. Many people don't like voting for a person. I heard that
quite often in conversations. Their pull to e-democracy comes from
there: they look foreward to not need to vote for people anymore, but
for people-less, pure, clean positions. And pyramide with one person at
the top reminds them of dictators.

Votorolas design allows for vote-circles, which allows you to vote for a
group of people. Imo this is perfect!

Thomas