Mini-beta and redesign of Crossforum Theatre

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Apr 16 02:17:37 EDT 2012

Hey Thomas,

> I guess that after the integration of remote wikis the vote-space
> will be one of the next places for improvement. ...

Yes, I finished remote wikis yesterday and will post about it today.
Next is votespace and other count pages.
http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Votespace?p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-b-ZeleaCom
http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Rank?19&p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-b-ZeleaCom

> ... Now the more the time goes by and our work on the circular
> layout lies in the past, the more doubts I have about this
> layout. This makes me feel really bad, because I think, I was the
> one to propose it first and people have put quite some time and work
> into it. But by now, the old layout looks more serious and more
> clear to me. The circular looks more playful and hip and cool, but
> do we really want this? And this at the cost of clarity imo.

I still think it's beautiful!
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/gwt/scene/vote/_/3.xht

Here's our half-coded prototype, which I still take pains to keep
running: http://zelea.com/y/vw/xf/#s=G/p/sandbox*1&c=DumV

The only reason I don't finish it is because the initial beta doesn't
require it.  Now that we've left alpha prototyping behind, we're stuck
coding what's essential for usability and recruitment of users.  If we
don't need something for that purpose, then probably we can't afford
to code it before the fact, that's all.

Then again, see below.  We may be in the process of learning that a
dedicated votespace view won't ever be attractive to users.

> Another thing: I'm thinking to start a serious poll (not just for
> testing purposes). And I feel, that the most natural way to start
> would be to have a circel of voters first, instead of a
> hierarchy-pyramide with me (or someone else) on the top. ...

After I put the old votespace on stage, the next thing is to automate
the creation of initial position drafts.  Part of that, I figure, is
to automatically cast an initial vote (with approval) so the drafter
shows up in the mini-votespace controls, both on the bridge (4) ...
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/gwt/stage/_/mock/diff-1.xht
... and in the various drafts of the circle.

Maybe mini votespace matters more than full votespace?  Active users
won't often be visiting a dedicated votespace view (why would they?)
and new users will mostly follow the active ones.  That means most of
the traffic will be in (a) the forum, (b) the difference bridge and
(c) the drafts.  In both (b) and (c) they'll see mini votespace, and
nowhere will they see full votespace.

I don't like the visual design of our mini votespace and I haven't
started coding it yet.  If we removed the text mnemonics (Ge. Ol. etc)
then two interesting possibilities emerge: we could either (i) squeeze
mini votespace into a thin stage track, so it appears in all staged
views; or (ii) squeeze more of votespace into it, so it becomes more
attractive and interesting to play with.

> ... And also if I imagine this poll to get older and bigger, still I
> have the picture of a circle of voters (maybe 20 or so) in the
> middle of it (all with the same position ofc).  Do you agree, that
> this is likely to be a common use-case? If yes, what could we do, to
> make such voter-circles be better visible in the vote-space than
> now?

I don't understand what you mean by 20 voters "all with the same
position".  Even a single circle (candidate and voters) has positions
that diverge somewhat.  Any 20 positions that deserved center place in
a larger poll would likely diverge even more.

In any case, if you agree that mini votespace is the crucial thing,
and especially that we should take path (ii), then the spotlight will
mostly shine on individual circles.  The center won't be especially
interesting in itself.