Difference feed (was Re: Webscraping)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Sep 16 04:41:12 EDT 2011

Sorry for the delay C, I had some work to do in the toolbar before I
could reply sensibly.

conseo wrote:
> What do you think? Should they be moved elsewhere or embedded in the
> feed in a smart way? We have chosen the current setup to be obvious
> (the icons mark links) and to be fixed, so you can quickly find the
> necessary operation. We also only need two small placeholders for
> all listed posts instead of linking from each of them. But it might
> be non-obvious that they are related to the selected feed
> item. Maybe some highlighting on item changes would help...

There's an "opaqueEnabled" class documented here that might help:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/a/xf/TheatreToolbar.html

Currently your links disappear when no bite is selected.  Compare:
http://zelea.com/y/vw/xf/#c=DV&s=G!p!prz
http://zelea.com/y/vw/xf/#c=DV&s=G!p!sandbox

If instead you remove the 'href' attribute on each link, and replace
its "enabled" class with "disabled", then you'll get a disabled link
with a faded icon.  That should help the user to discover the purpose
of the links.  And the layout of the toolbar won't be shifting, so
it'll be less disorienting.

> I have shrinked the icons a bit to 16px square size btw. Does that
> fit your browsing experience?

They're still *slightly* too large under Firefox - though admittedly
we're being rather strict with space here.  The problem is not the
icons themselves but the blue bordering that Firefox wraps around
them.  If you follow the instructions in the API above, though, it
should fix all that.

The "diff-ToolV" rules won't be needed then, you can remove all of
them: http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/web/base/xf/DiffFeedV.css

One suggestion for the code:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/diff/DiffFeedV.java
Instead of listening for click events, you can listen to the selection
model of your FeedVCellList superclass.  It'll keep you informed of
selected bites regardless of how they were selected.

Thomas will be back soon asking for a "Vote" button.  We have a
toolbar now, so at least we'll know where to put it.  :-)