TrackStack mockup help request

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Oct 1 17:14:56 EDT 2011

This is really a beautiful effort, C!  I can see the reasoning behind
it, which makes it very attractive.  The design task (to answer Alex)
is to convey an immediate (2 second) message of progress toward a
goal.  But C, you emphasize *collaborative* progress and I feel you're
definitely right.  Nice!

Here are your mockups again:
http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/2.xht
http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/2ab.xht
http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/2b.xht

That last one made me say, "Wow".  I agree with you and Alex that the
rainbow colours are a distraction and might perhaps be toned down or
(sometimes better) even removed.  But the arrow-like indicator of
progress is an excellent idea.  Definitely something to enhance in
later mockups.

I also like the segmentation of the progress bar according to user
contributions.  Here (for others) you can get a sense of what C is
thinking: http://zelea.com/y/vw/xf/#a=qUS$&c=DV&s=G!p!sandbox*9

The numbers don't match, but see how the accumulated pledges flow
through the delegate users (El, Al, Aa, Bd, Aa, Tz) to the end
candidate's account (Th)?  It's those separate contributions that C is
showing with his segments.  Beautiful idea!  (I remind others that
these visuals will be applied to votes too, not just to quantitative
pledges like $$$.)

One suggestion: The first mockup (2.xht) adds a time dimension to the
progress; as you say, it shows last month's progress toward the goal
compared with today's.  I wonder if you could stack up separate tracks
for that purpose, and use the vertical dimension for the time series.

Another suggestion is to put the mouse to work and bring a "tactile"
sense into the visuals.  Maybe show info details as the mouse
traverses the segments and (if you agree) the time series.  Project
the details onto a heads-up display (not yet coded) just beneath the
toolbar.  That might bring you closer to the point where you could
remove the text entirely from the tracks and reduce their thickness,
in turn increasing screen space, info density, etc.  - But these are
just suggestions.

Good work!