A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 01:17:33 EDT 2011

On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:
> Welcome back Alex!  It's been a while since you last posted.  I hope
> life's been treating you well.
>
>>Alex Wrote:
>>I am out in the field doing social research now building interest in
>> direct democratic decision making and almost soleley through social
>> contracts. ... My current question is "will further social
>> production require the same solution (Vototola) or will I find
>> untreated and/incompatible use cases and requirements?"
>
> I guess Votorola can never be more than part of the overall technical
> solution.

Votorola is a huge part of the answer, from where I've been standing.
I meant no critique or overstatement about the tool; simply that when
I tested it for my use cases it was sufficient.

>Did you have a particular use case in mind that might be difficult for us to cover?

My use cases have remained constant for a couple years now, though I
must say that the recent integration of money into the system has me
interested.  Previously I made a separation in my head between the
deliberation and sociaio-economic system, and this is/was a mistake,
but, it takes a lot of thinking to integrate them.  I could make some
additional cases, but, the basic use cases of creating "standing
policy" and controlling a voter qualification list are the basic cases
I was working with and those are handled well.  I still think a
separate pollserver, even if only for the sake of redundancy, would be
useful.  At the same time a standard for the "vote" so people could
use a microfrmat to post their "vote" wherever they want might be
good, too.

> What sort of contacts
> have you made?

To date I am still working on cooperative business models, helping
people by setting out plans and following through, and whoever decides
to join in makes their way to a position of governance in a democracy.
 At a certain point the business will be too big to manage without ICT
tools, and I will continue to monitor Votorola to contribute aberrant
use cases and labor nearer to the point where I will need a rather
"controlled" system in the sense that I will be generating my own
"qualified voter" lists.

Alex