A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 04:35:40 EDT 2011

What I hear in the initial "there is a flaw" statement is a noticing
that parties are poor mediators and that the people ought to be more
directly involved in creating the ballot, that this "other" unmediated/
less-mediated method is likely to restore "power" and interest in
Democracy by simply removing a structural, systemic component of
decision making that can result in tye procedural alienation of a
person from the process and eventually their vote.

I have previously experienced a similar insight during US primaries
and I found the feeling of alienation, akin to what was described
here, sufficiently powerful to rationalize my own dropping out until
such a time as I could find a solution.

My understanding of the drive behind Votorola and from what I have
seen of the workings, most of which I have tested and viewed myself,
is that Votorola does accomplish much disinternediation with a
technical solution and that the group working on Votorola, and I
consider myself a member of that group or at least in league with, is
very interested in the production of the technical solution with a
full acknowledgement and in the shining light of truth that the
technical solution for a constantly open and changeable ballot with a
never closing poll is in fact only a technical solution and therefore
only a partial solution.

Indeed I found Votorola technically sufficient even with the (current)
lack of pollwiki replication.  I am out in the field doing social
research now building interest in direct democratic decision making
and almost soleley through social contracts.  Votorola answered my
original question "can the issue I have previously encountered, a lack
of a technical solution, be solved".  My current question is "will
further social production require the same solution (Vototola) or will
I find untreated and/incompatible use cases and requirements?"

Bests,

Alex Rollin
Http://commoning.com