A structural fault in society owing to a design flaw in the electoral system

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Thu Nov 3 17:16:55 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I'll quickly answer to the latest online version:

> An individual vote in an election has no meaningful effect in the objective
world, and no effect whatsoever on the official outcome of the election;
whether the vote is cast or not, the outcome is the same regardless.

This is a strong claim. In fact it already polarizes the audience. The main
problem you have to explain then is why the majority of people still vote if
the outcome is zero. Those who have voted for political concepts and believe
in some policies which have been implemented in the past will oppose you for
the very reasons of this policy. There are some societies like in Scandinavia
where the social welfare state definitely marks social progress and it is
driven by voted parties.

> Beneath this fact lies a structural fault that emerges here and there in
society as a series of persistent discontinuities between facts and norms, or
contents and forms.

This is an abstract conclusion, which is not bound to the first claim and you
have to elaborate that more as you do later. I don't think it helps clarify
your claim here in the second sentence, but rather confuses non-theoretical
readers.

> One rightly expects to be free because he lives in a democracy and has a
vote; but the truth is, he has no political freedom at all. I trace the
underlying cause of this fault to a technical design flaw in the electoral
system wherein the elector is physically separated from the ballot. This
separation removes the elector as voter (the active decider) from the social
means and product of decision, thereby rendering him individually
powerless.QCW

This is ok for an introduction.

> No electoral power exists in the vote itself, it exists purely in external
communication networks; although the votes are brought together to make a
result, the voters are not brought together as such to make a decision,
therefore no valid decision can be extracted from the result. In the 1700s and
1800s, middle class society was able to partly overcome this flaw by engaging
in politically animated practices of decision formation and expression that,
even without the benefit of a concrete ballot, were nevetherless voter-like.

If you make historical claims, you have to narrow it down and reference your
sources. I don't know what you are really talking about. In the US there has
been the democratic party since the independence. In France after the
revolution there were different groups forming the democratic spectrum from
right to left, which gave the right/left terminology its basis.

> This ad hoc practice of "abstract voting" enabled them to reconstitute
electoral power within the flourishing communication networks of the day.PPS

I don't understand what "abstract voting" means here. Develop your abstract
argument with an historical/social example showing the general dynamics and
social reasons for the change. I guess you are talking about private entities
like stock corporations, which practice some kind of democratic management by
owners? The concept of voting was not new, if you refer to a historical
development, can you quote where the historical background comes from? Even if
you keep it simple for normal readers to understand, it allows to argue much
better.

> As voting rights later expanded into the population, however, the franchise
came to include more people who lacked the personal or social means to engage
in abstract voting and make rational decisions of their own. Their cumulative
disengagement amounted to a power vacuum that coincided with the rise, after
1867, of the modern party system in Great Britain. The modernized Liberal and
Conservative parties each responded by packaging its own ready-made decision,
thus reducing the input of the elector to a choice of which package to
consume.

But Great Britain is different from all other countries in its system. What
was the social reason for mass parties and more interestingly how have they
been organized internally? Why? People know that parties have a fixed program,
I would leave it out unless it helps the argument. More interesting is why
parties formed at all. Because if they formed to realize a certain concept of
society, then this ready-made decision is the reason for their public support
and therefore their existence.

> The resulting transfer of power from the weaker members of the electorate to
the organized parties was the historical event that opened up the structural
fault. It opened between the two formal components of political liberty,
namely individual power and equality.

I would reformulate it in individual freedom and equality as these have been
the liberal terms. But if it opened there, then it opened in the middle of
liberal ideology, where freedom and equality were revolutionary claims leading
to antagonisms. Many political studies of the 19th century have tried to find
a compromise for this problem, leading to all kind of utopian and formalist
solutions.
The liberal revolutions of that time freed up the individual property from
feudal barriers. But if private property is the foundation of the new society
then equality cannot be against private property, which was the material
driving force behind the revolutions. Both in the US and in France the
revolution were driven by farmers which saw equality in owning their property
and the revolution gave it to them. The basis of society was private property
and the belief that liberal rights give everybody the private property
necessary to enjoy these freedoms.
The liberal solution is formal equal rights, but real inequality. The
resulting democratic systems ensured a society based on private property. And
private property is the same no matter who the owner is. In that sense it is
emancipating. But if private property is the basis for human rights and
freedom, then the state is only a superficial institution guaranteeing the
development of private businesses. From a liberal pov the state has little to
decide and may not touch the basis of liberal society, which is private
property. But if the true freedom of society lies in private property, then
democracy applied to the state is alienated anyway. The division of the voter
from the ballot is only logical from a liberal pov, because government is not
meant to intervene in any private individual rights even if these private
properties are larger than the government. Allowing to replace public
management (government) every few years is all that is necessary for a private
business owner. Too much democracy/equality is a thread to private property.

You just claim that it is a design error. But technical designs don't drive
societies. While it might sound compelling that they couldn't do what we do in
analogue ways, something like the general assembly would have been possible at
any time. This doesn't disqualify your formal analysis, but I think we can
improve it if we understand the historical reasons and where we have to focus
to create new forms for new social institutions.

> These two components were torn apart for lack of any structural binding in
society.

Exactly, but you have to make that concrete imo. See prev. point.

> Society is well equipped to handle the various forms of inter-personal or
mass communication in which electoral power alone exists, but it lacks any
concomitant support of equality. The ballot itself formalizes equality, but
only internal to the electoral system; its structural strength cannot be
realized unless it is externalized and personally bound to the elector.

For this to work the state as we know it in the liberal sense would have to be
abandoned and a new totality of consent has to be introduced. See also above.
Instead of private property the guarantee for individual freedom has to come
out of this new process. If individual freedom is lost then consent is not of
interest any more. So we have to progress in both directions to enable a
consent based process. Better collective management guaranteeing more
individual freedoms. The problem is bigger than the tying of vote and voter.

Instead of continuity in private ownership and decisions new institutions have
to form which can manage social reproduction without private property
directly. Private property is the negation of collective assets as the
medieval/feudal commons.

> With that as a foundation, society could have provided electoral services on
the basis of form rather than content;

I assume you mean form in the sense of *non*-distinction between voter and
vote and content as the party-program. But socially the program was an
expression of classes forming these parties. So while the form does not fit
the content of consent based society, it was designed for the society it has
been applied to. This doesn't mean that it was designed with the majority of
people in mind, but for the liberal prototype of a business owner.

> services in support of decision making as opposed to a one-size-fits-all
consumption. Ordinary competition among service providers would then be
sufficient to ensure that all electors regardless of personal and social means
had access to their share of constitutional power and its associated
opportunities.

That is a technical solution in the voting system. I am interested more in the
problem how society changes if we create forms for new social organisation. If
you talk about that with the occupy movement and the general assembly in mind,
you might be able to work out some shared analysis/vision on how consent based
action can be implemented. For example: How do you run a certain
infrastructure service based on consent? We don't need the answer, but maybe
the flaw you see can be better mapped in the collective question of our time.
How to reach a consent-based sustainable future?

> It was only ever a technical design flaw that precluded this development in
the first place, and brought us instead to the present situation where the
organized parties make the decisions and exercise the rightful power and
political freedom that were intended for the citizens.

See above why this sounds naive from a sociological pov imo.

conseo