[MG] Minimal start plan - inter-community network

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue May 31 11:17:03 EDT 2011

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> I think the 4 maps are good! At least I cannot think of anything
> better.  Its a lot of added complexity though. Whats hard for me to
> imagine beforehand is the navigation between them (especially in
> combination with zooming). Maybe a lot depends on that navigation. I
> hope, you have a clearer picture of that than I, Mike.

The links in the detailed view (d) can do that job.  Select an item in
the communities map for example, and (d) will show links to:

  * Polls the community participates in
  * People who are active members of the community
  * Topics the community discusses

Or select an item in the poll map, and you get links to:

  * Communities that are participating in that poll
  * People who are participating in that poll
  * Topics that poll is about

And so on for the other map types (people and topics).  In addition,
when the topics map is filtered to a specific set of keywords -
usually those of a community, poll or person - then it will also
provide links to:

  * Communities that discuss (some or all of) those topics
  * Polls about those topics
  * People interested in those topics

In those views, you'll see exactly how many keyords are matched by
each item.  This will indicate (very roughly) how interested each
person is in the community, or each community in the poll, and so
forth.  We might generalize this matching trick to sets of other
items, aside from topics.  So, for the active membership of a
community, which is a set of people, you would see:

  * Communities in which (some or all of) those people participate
  * Polls in which they participate
  * Topics that interest them

So links will provide navigation from map to map, as well as the
filtering (zooming) of each map.  The feed will be filtered to match.

> The plan sounds good, for sure.

I guess the social tasks (s) are what drive it.  We need to find
people with fire under their butts, then go to work to keep them happy
with the tools.  There's no other way forward I can see.  Rationale:
http://metagovernment.org/pipermail/start_metagovernment.org/2011-May/004024.html