[MG] ideas for a proposal for a city mayor

Armando Vieira armando.vieira at sairmais.com
Mon May 2 07:22:11 EDT 2011

Hi

As a new member on the forum, I would like to say that I was very
satisfied to seem all these projects coming along. I think they really
show the need to a deep change in
the way the representative democracy works and to empower citizens.

In Portugal this need is even more evident, particularly on this moment:
citizens are desperate about the way the country was ruled by bad
politicians and they don't see any change in alternative political
parties. So we are in a deadlock and people are eager to see
alternatives for the political system.

I think we have conditions to push forward a and implement a project on
e-democracy - for instance, Portugal is on top of e-government policies
in Europe (lots of burocracy can be treated online).
Of course we can't make the transition in one step and the constitution
will block a lot of the ideas being discussed here.

Our plan is to start on a local level. We have the opportunity to share
these ideas with 2 or 3 mayors in Portuguese cities that we know to be
receptive.
We are aware of some projects of participatory budget (
http://participatedb.com/projects ) but we want to go beyond that.

We would like to work on 3 levels:
I - a collaborative framework to discuss the strategy of growth of the city
II - a tool to help citizens to created directives (kind of municipal
laws) to be submitted to the elected board - is Votorola ready to roll?
III -  a tool to help "educated" citizens, to show them the implications
of decisions and complexities of some laws.

What I like to ask this forum
1) what open source tools are ready to be implemented on such a project
2) what suggestions do you have concerning our approach

Armando
--

Armando Vieira, PhD
http://armando.sairmais.com