[MG] Google Maps lock-in

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Thu Jan 27 03:56:05 EST 2011

conseo wrote:
> What do you think? Do you want to have Google services available and
> if so for which concrete use cases?

As crossforum administrator, I'll abide by whatever you folks decide.

A couple of things I can do in advance: I can make the default
rendering (Google or Mapnik or whatever) a config option for admins.
I can also make the user's runtime choice (the rendering you see by
default) persistent through cookies.  These changes should be easy
enough to code.

Later, I'll allow the admin to remove map renderings from the choice
list entirely.  So he could scratch Google if he needed to.  This is
slightly more difficult.  I'll put this off till we decide we
definitely need it (or someone else codes it - that's cool).