[MG] Google Maps lock-in

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Wed Jan 26 17:14:26 EST 2011

Hi,

having discussed with Mike about the usage of Google services in Crossforum, I
have had a look at the terms of usage directly linked on the Google mapper on
Crossforum:

http://www.google.com/intl/de-DE_US/help/terms_maps.html

3. Appropriate Conduct; Compliance with Law and Google Policies.  You agree
that you are responsible for your own conduct and content  while using the
Products, and for any consequences thereof. You agree to  use the Products
only for purposes that are legal, proper and in  accordance with the Terms and
any applicable policies or guidelines  Google may make available. By way of
example, and not as a limitation,  you agree that when using the Products or
the Content, you will not:
(a) defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the  legal
rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
(b) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any
inappropriate, defamatory, obscene, or unlawful content;
(c) upload, post, transmit or otherwise make available any content that
infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other  proprietary
right of any party, unless you are the owner of the rights,  or have the
permission of the owner or other legal justification to use  such content;
(d) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available messages  that
promote pyramid schemes, chain letters, or disruptive commercial  messages or
advertisements;
(e) upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any other
content, message, or communication prohibited by applicable law, the  Terms or
any applicable Product policies or guidelines;
(f) download any file posted by another that you know, or reasonably should
know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner;
(g) impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any  author
attributions or proprietary designations or labels of the origin  or source of
Content, software or other material;
(h) restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Products or
Google services;
(i) interfere with or disrupt Google services or servers or networks
connected to Google services, or disobey any requirements, procedures,
policies or regulations of networks connected to Google services;
(j) use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other  device
to retrieve or index any portion of the Google services or  Content, or
collect information about users for any unauthorized  purpose;
(k) submit content that falsely expresses or implies that such content is
sponsored or endorsed by Google;
(l) create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent
pretenses;
(m) promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities;
(n) promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual; or
(o) transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a
destructive nature.
5. Additional Terms for Google Earth.
(a) Export Restrictions. The Google Earth software is subject to United
States export controls. By using the Google Earth software, you agree to  use
the software only for purposes that are legal, proper and in  accordance with
these Terms. Specifically, you agree to comply with all  applicable export and
reexport control laws and regulations, including  the Export Administration
Regulations ("EAR")  maintained by the U.S. Department of Commerce, and trade
and economic  sanctions maintained by the Treasury Department's Office of
Foreign  Assets Control.

This locks us seriously in and makes us more than vulnarable to legal attacks
or restricting the service in a situation of conflict. There is no way to
ensure that we cannot be attacked by that broad terms when we provide an
international service (Crossforum).

I propose that we avoid using proprietary web services for our infrastructure
completely and make them opt-in if(!) there is no similar free replacement.
This also ensures that we can bend our solutions to our liking later-on by
hacking upstream. Single vote server projects embedded in the network of
course can still decide on their own, but we don't need it in Crossforum or
any of the common network infrastructure imo.

What do you think? Do you want to have Google services available and if so for
which concrete use cases?

conseo