[MG] Fwd: Decorating the bite feed - coding plan

Alex Rollin alex.rollin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 05:50:30 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 8:18 AM, conseo <4consesus at web.de> wrote:
> Am Sunday 16 January 2011 schrieb Alex Rollin:
>> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:
>> > This is maybe one point on which we differ from the Drupal applet that
>> > Alex mentioned. ?It may be possible to capture users in the world of
>> > content management, and that may even be the name of the game. ?But
>> > the world of democracy (or whatever we call it) is quite different.
>> > The difference might not be obvious to most people

I'm not sure where you guys are having your back room discussion about
crossforum, but I'm glad you are talking. ?I simply hoped to save you
some work, Mike, and you can of course proceed as you see fit, and
don't need my permission. ?If you want to tell me where you think my
understanding falls short I'll be grateful to understand. ?Obviously I
am not privvy to your discussion, and so I cannot say what I don't
understand.

> Just to add to my other post in the Drupal thread: Alex, I share your point of
> view, but I think we are *not* reinventing the wheel here. In fact we do the
> opposite. Michael has split up the concept not only on a library middleware
> perspective, but on the level of whole entities of the network. That way what
> we do is only focusing on the necessary glue in between abstract concepts of
> these entities like pollservers, drafting media or discussion media. We do
> *more* code sharing than that although we implement our infrastructure from
> scratch. It is maybe not easy to see, but feeding services and likely even the
> mapper are not too difficult to program, since they are basic concepts of
> UI-/Web-programming and data handling anyway. But using some middleware we get
> locked in their perspective of the web, which is in case of Atom already a
> design problem for us. We can easily plug in middleware later to put our data
> in any standard form you like. I'd like to do it for Atom with Abdera at least
> for the feed service, but this is low priority atm, as Crossforum is the way
> to go.

As I've understood it the point of the crossforum app, when I was
writing original use cases for it, was to demonstrate one use case. ?I
hear you say "infrastructure" and it sounds like moving beyond a use
case, and so I offer the same advice I did to Mike so many months ago,
that this work has, by and large, been done within Drupal, and
required much more time to do correctly than I think is available to
build it from scratch within this context. ?You can tear down Drupal
to my face and it won't hurt my feelings; it doesn't change the fact
that it does most of what I understand you want to do.

> Christian

Alex