[MG] Decorating the bite feed - coding plan

conseo 4consesus at web.de
Mon Jan 17 02:18:23 EST 2011

Am Sunday 16 January 2011 schrieb Alex Rollin:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Michael Allan <mike at zelea.com> wrote:
> > This is maybe one point on which we differ from the Drupal applet that
> > Alex mentioned.  It may be possible to capture users in the world of
> > content management, and that may even be the name of the game.  But
> > the world of democracy (or whatever we call it) is quite different.
> > The difference might not be obvious to most people, and we might have
> > to demonstrate it.  I think Conseo is asking, "How do you want us to
> > demonstrate it?"
>
> I would simply add that a goodly portion of this type of work has
> already been done by other projects.  There's even an API for Drupal
> Feeds that can accept a JSON parser.
>
> I understand this is exciting, and I'm excited too, and within that is
> my now explicit agreement that "generic" facilities are key.  I'm just
> not sure why all this needs to be built from scratch.  I understand
> the need to prototype, and I'm merely bringing up what I mentioned 4
> or 5 months ago that the facilities for feed parsing and data display
> are well established in other projects.

Just to add to my other post in the Drupal thread: Alex, I share your point of
view, but I think we are *not* reinventing the wheel here. In fact we do the
opposite. Michael has split up the concept not only on a library middleware
perspective, but on the level of whole entities of the network. That way what
we do is only focusing on the necessary glue in between abstract concepts of
these entities like pollservers, drafting media or discussion media. We do
*more* code sharing than that although we implement our infrastructure from
scratch. It is maybe not easy to see, but feeding services and likely even the
mapper are not too difficult to program, since they are basic concepts of
UI-/Web-programming and data handling anyway. But using some middleware we get
locked in their perspective of the web, which is in case of Atom already a
design problem for us. We can easily plug in middleware later to put our data
in any standard form you like. I'd like to do it for Atom with Abdera at least
for the feed service, but this is low priority atm, as Crossforum is the way
to go.

Christian

<rant>
Btw.: Why do you (or any other critically educted mind) use GMail? I really
don't like leaking all my mail traffic to G-datahell. The list is public anyway,
but that way I can't even talk to the persons privately anymore :-/ Setting up
a mailserver + some dyndns account is no magic anymore today and gives you a
much better performance and flexibility than GMail ever will.
</rant>