TrackStack mockup help request

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Dec 14 09:25:36 EST 2011

> The other option is to skip tracklets and simply show the current
> top one, which we had before for the node itself... Do you think we
> need the tracklets or is there a compacter visual?

I guess I asked the wrong question in my last post.  I asked what's
the purpose of the parent tracklets (top), but the crucial question
is, "What's the purpose of the child tracklets?"

The topmost parent (the one you've been designing all along) shows
progress toward a target of resource accumulation.  It does a good job
of that.  The basic elements (segmentation, arrows, width) are all
excellent.  OK.

Does the progress change as we climb the tree?  Maybe.  It can change
if the account definition changes and redefines the target, for
example.  This could happen when climbing from B to A:

                       ( )  ( )  ( )
                         \   | 1 /
                          \  |  / 1        ( )   ( )
                 ( )  ( )  \ | /            | 1  /
        ( )        \ 1 |    \|/             |   / 1
          \ 1       \  | 1  (2) *A*         |  /
           \         \ |     |              | /  ( )  ( )
            \         \|     | 1            |/    |   /
         1   \        (2)    |         *C* (2)    |  /
     ( )-----(2)        \    |              |     | /
               \ 1       \   |              |     |/
                \         \  |              |    ( )-----( )
                 \         \ |        ( )   |    /
              1   \         \|          \   |   /
  ( )-----( )-----(4)       (5)          \  |  /
                    \       /             \ | /
                     \     / 1             \|/
                      \   /                ( )
                       \ /
                       (10) *B*

  [SAC]. Superaccounting in a delegate voting structure.  Three
         accounts are shown (A, B, C).  The counting method is a
  hypothetical "unit summation" method in which a voter may pledge 1
  or nothing.  Each number in brackets shows the total quantity of
  pledges received by a candidate and destined to flow to one of the
  terminal accounts (B or C) where they are removed from the flow and
  "held".  (from http://zelea.com/w/Category:Account)

But that's no problem.  Your original design can handle that.  No need
even for a mockup.  So OK, the progress track is fine.  But what were
those other tracklets showing, if not progress?  And why?

Maybe try this:

  1. Paste your simple progress track on top of these mockups:
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/vote/_/1.xht
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/vote/_/2.xht
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/xf/vote/_/3.xht

     Paste it directly into the SVG.  Paste only the simple track (3
     strong elements) to avoid noise and confusion.  Show exactly the
     same track visual at all three levels.

  2. Let's all look at it.  We'll flip back and forth among the three
     mockups (up/down tree) and ask, "Is this OK?"

I have an idea, nothing definite... and anyway, it can be fun to look
at a problem before seeing the solutions... and people come up with
interesting ideas.