TrackStack mockup help request

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Tue Dec 13 18:49:00 EST 2011

Hey M,

> Stacking up multiple "tracklets" is an interesting idea.  I think
> it'll work on a desktop, but I'm worried it'll chew up too much space
> on a mobile device..  Imagine we have multiple tracks in the stack for
> this account type [1]:
>

> The above exaggerates the track height (maybe by 4X), but it shows the
> problem.  There might be enough room on a desktop, but it has to run
> on small mobile screens too (maybe 1/4 or less space).  And three
> tracks is probably not enough to cover all use cases, I think we want
> to support at least five or six.  So even *un-expanded* tracks are
> going to take up roughly half of votespace...
>
> What's the purpose of parent tracklets (3a-d)?  Is there a better
> (less spacious) way of accomplishing the purpose?

The other option is to skip tracklets and simply show the current top one,
which we had before for the node itself. This carries some problems though. A
single node can be very small compared to the target, so we have to find
something else to measure it and give a sense of overall state/progress. This
why I have come up with the "tracklets" in the first place. Do you think we
need the tracklets or is there a compacter visual?

I have resized the tracks to 2/3 of its parent (1).

We can solve the space problem for too much stacks of any kind like that:
NOTE: each plus is supposed to represent one hidden track (could be an icon if
it was for a single track type). Track is (2/3)^4 wide and only consists of
its own resources (it is therefore the grey (always first)).

This also underlines why i see some problems in directly applying this Ui for
mobile. Or am I doing it wrong? Maybe you have a specific mobile-compatible
widget style in mind Mike? I have done the circles in VoteSpace just to
underline that visual. I don't need them.

conseo

(1) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/5/5a.ns.level2.xht
(2) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/5/5a.ns.level4.hide.xht