Guided creation of new drafts in the pollwiki

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sat Dec 3 04:50:27 EST 2011

Mike answered:

> >  one thing: the diff-control "compare to candidate" work only after
> >  the next count, right? People will vote immidiatly and will want to
> >  try the compare-button. So the feedback message could be a bit
> >  clearer like: you had not voted at the last count 10.23. a.m.. The
> >  next count will be in 2:12:23 (counting down). I think such a clock
> >  would be good in the vote-space itself too.
I want them to use the controls at top-left.  Maybe I should include a
picture in the intructions.

> >  Plus, another bad feedback message: if there is no difference the
> >  bridge still says "something is wrong", right?

Yes. We can fix that.

> >  So does this mean, one does not really need to log into the wiki
> >  anymore?
Correct, provided the wiki happens to allow page creation/editing by
unlogged-in users.  We cannot count on that, but for now it's OK.
Mind you, they*should*  register in the pollwiki as soon as possible.
The sooner the better.  But again, we'll see how it works out.

> >  One strange thing: if I'm logged out, the position of test-thomas is
> >  not visible in the table of the poll-page. Once I log in as
> >  thomasvonderelbe in the wiki it becomes visible.
I think that's just the wiki's cache.  The position list in the poll
page is never guaranteed to be up-to-date.  An admin can hit 'refresh'
(I think you are an admin), but others have to do a dummy edit, or
wait (not sure how long, could be days or more).

> >  another idea: imo it would be good to have in the top table of each
> >  draft as the first point: Author of this draft. The same as at the
> >  bottom of the page.
Yes, especially when the user page isn't created yet.  There's no
backlink to it, so only the URL shows the user (or the fact box at
bottom, as you say).