[MG] Register your geolocals and put yourself on the map

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Apr 10 16:51:23 EDT 2011

This is a request for one or two new users to help in debugging the
registration process.

BTW - I noticed the geomap wasn't remembering the base layer that you
choose from the (+) control, at top right.  That's now fixed.  If it
still doesn't work for you, please hit refresh.

C wrote:
> http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DG
> Mike has also started to support real geolocals. So what you see now
> is the real position of the two drafters discussing. Although the
> social mapper will be of greater use, I am particularly excited
> about that as my "bus shelter needs a roof" use case will soon be
> supported.

If you watch the dummy feed for a minute or two, it'll show roughly
where all the registered users are located:
http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DumG

I've cleared a path for new users to register at least their
geolocals, so they can get themselves on the map.  If anyone can spare
20 minutes or so to test it, here's how:

  1. Start on your user page: http://u.zelea.com/w/Special:MyPage

     If you're a new user, that page won't exist yet.  Create it and
     you'll see the registration instructions. *

  2. Follow the registration instructions.

  3. Post a diff URL to the list.

     You must be one of the 2 authors in the diff.  That means you'll
     need a draft of your own.  The location of your draft depends on
     the issue you're interested in:
     http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/MyDraft?p=G!p!mho&pin=Ed-EdpastoreCom&rw=http%3A%2F%2Fmetagovernment.org%2Fw%2Findex.php5
     http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/MyDraft?p=G!p!m00&pin=Ed-EdpastoreCom&rw=http%3A%2F%2Fmetagovernment.org%2Fw%2Findex.php5

     Once you have a draft with some changes in it, then follow the
     icon to the difference bridge.  That's the URL you must post.

  4. Look for your post here, it should appear in about 10 minutes:
     http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DG

     You probably won't see your location on the map immediately.  It
     can take a while for new geolocals to get into the voter
     register.  You'll probably have to wait 2-4 hours.

Is this OK for starters?  Please give it a try, and let me know.

*  If you're not a new user, but just want to see the instructions:
http://u.zelea.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Sna-FuBar&action=edit
Then hit "Show preview".