After our mail exchange

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Apr 9 01:44:11 EDT 2011

Hi Matteo, welcome to the list.

> Hi all,
> this post is in reply to a list of mails we had back and forth from
> Mike, Thomas and me.  I have offered by help to Votorola and I am
> looking for the possibility to hire one programmer to join the
> project (I cannot program in Java myself) I will devote few more
> days to look into what it has been done so far.  Also, I have found
> another (!) group of people doing somthing similar:
> http://www.slideshare.net/agora20/progetto-agor-20 Presentation is
> in Italian, so maybe you will not understand 100%.  I have contacted
> the main person and asked it he is interested in collaboration.

I hope he is, that would be great.  Collaboration with other projects
is a high priority for us.

I watched his presentation.  I don't know Italian so I can't tell how
similar his design is.  But it might not matter, at least not for
technical collaboration.  We can bridge differences of design using
techniques like Thomas's vote mirroring.  It enables us to translate
between voting methods and to interconnect pools of votes that would
otherwise be isolated.

> It looks like there are a number of groups in the world where
> everybody is trying to do (more or less) the same thing.  I keep
> thinking that it would be great to talk to each other to possibly
> help each other or join forces.

(If you made a breakthrough in that direction, then we'd almost
certainly follow you.)

> I will let you know whether I can get other people to join.  I will
> also look for joining the metagovernment list as soon as I can.  I
> still think that having a good presentation for Votorola and a sleek
> site would maybe attract more people, but it is up to you to decide
> that.  When and if you will decide in this way, just let me know.

I'm sorry, because I may have misunderstood your concern and given you
the wrong impression.  We definitely care about presentation.  We also
know that we're not doing a good job of it.  The issue gets raised now
and again, most recently a couple of weeks ago.  One suggestion was to
place a running instance of crossforum theatre in the home page.
Crossforum theatre aims to be an integrated UI layer spanning multiple
media and toolsets (more than just Votorola).  It also aims to be the
primary entrance-way for new participants.  We now have two developers
working full time on it, and there's always room for more.