Stuff to do

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Nov 7 03:56:03 EST 2010

Here's an outline of my work plans (tentative) and some open questions
(further below) about the placement of the architectural docs:

   T  Priority  Task details, reasons
   -  --------  ------------------------------------------------------

 | A  1       * Read the philosophy.  Puzzle out and start documenting
 |    part-     the broader social underpinnings and ramifications of
 |    time      the theory.
 |            * These are unknowns and therefore risks.  But I'm not
 |              quite competent at this level of theory, so the best
 |              hope is maybe just to open it up for academics and
 |              other scholars to run with.
 |
 | B  1       * Redact the narrower technical and political theory
 |              into a publishable, academic form.
 |            * A and C depend on this reformatting.
 |
 | C  1       * Complete and redact the documentation of the archi-
 |    hard      tecture and practical techniques.
 |            * Otherwise we're confused about what the nuts and bolts
                are, and what's involved in the practice.

   D  2       * Design and implement free-range drafting.
              * It's a core freedom and therefore a risk of voter
                splits and technical forks.  The prototype is unstable
                and incomplete without it.

   E  3       * Design and implement a marquee UI such as crossforum
      hard      theatre.
              * Without at least one marquee the tools are unusable by
                ordinary humans.  Even technicians are quick to judge
                (and dismiss) the technology as hopelessly ugly.

    Priorities may shift as needed, of course.

E is the lowest priority at the moment because crossforum theatre is
technically difficult.  I hope we can eventually attract another
senior engineer to help with it, or maybe a gung-ho intermediate
programmer.  Still holding out for that.

A, B and C are lumped together as one, big documentation mess.  I
guess most of my time will be spent on C because it's the messiest.

What to call the architecture (C)?  It's a neutral design, separate
from Votorola and compatible in principle with all tools/techniques
not only the "communicative" ones.  For this reason, I no longer like
either of these names:

  (coco-d) Architecture for communicative and communicable democracy

   ACCoRD  Architecture for communicable and communicatively
           rational democracy

Also the word "democracy" feels wrong.  It's hopelessly vague, vaguely
ideological and inappropriate for some of the non-political
applications.  Maybe just pick a name that's meaningless, but friendly
sounding?

Where to document the architecture?  I think it belongs in a dedicated
area of our pollwiki.  Pollwikis are core to the design, and wiki-type
collaboration seems to be appropriate for technical docs, at least at
this level.

Comments are welcome, ofc.  (Sorry to post so many thoughts lately.  I
 hope to focus mostly on the grunt work, now.)