Unlimited polls, configured in common pollwiki (1b)

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue May 4 08:46:23 EDT 2010

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> Would it maybe better to call it "Refresh"? Thats easier to understand,
> because one is used to such buttons.

You're right.  OTOH it's also the name of an admin command, which is
technically more correct:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/a/poll/CR_Reconstruct.html

So compromise (?), at least till we know all the functions these pages
are going to be performing, and we can afford the UI dev time:

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Poll?p=G!p!frvp   ?

> > Navigation to the "reconstruct" link (2) isn't obvious.
>
> Yes, would it be possible to have such a Refresh-link in the
> wiki-sidebar and let it also refresh the wiki page, i.e. clearing the
> wikis cache too?

Both solutions are problematic.  The reconstruct command is only for
Votorola, and it's only a fallback.  (Reconstruction will be automated
in future.)  Ordinary users won't understand any of this, no matter
how much document it.  It's only for admins/power users.  (Also, we
need other pollserver developers in the conversation, or there's a
risk of having to rip it out in future, and do it over again.)

Clearance of wiki cache is a similar thing.  Ordinary users won't
understand that.  It's only for admins/power users who already know
(or can learn) that a dummy-edit is the best way.  For ordinary users,
either we turn off the cache (and suffer the consequences) or they
live with the delays (at least for now).  That's my best guess,
anyway.

We're too concerned with details (myself included).  If something
works at least roughly, and if we can use it (you and I) without
becoming totally confused, then I think we have to leave it alone and
press on.  Otherwise we end up painting walls and hanging pictures
before the wiring and the plumbing are in (something I'm usually the
worst offender for).

> > In general, the pollwiki/pollserver nav links (e.g. in 1) are
> > especially confusing.  What was the point of them?  I'll probably
> > disable them soon.
>
> Yes, please! The less buttons, the clearer it gets. If it doesnt take
> much, maybe you can also disable all the single buttons on a
> position/poll page except of "show my own position"? All the others are
> now covered by the nav-tool, right?

I agree, we want clean interfaces.  Unfortunately, I don't think we
can afford them yet.  The best I could do for now (to avoid total
confusion) is to white out the pollwiki/pollserver links on those
pages.  So they're at least consistent with the other links.

  http://u.zelea.com/w/Tor
  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/Pollserver?a=Tor

  (Ctrl-R, refresh your browser)

Rip out the old links in the wiki?  I think (in hindsight) it may have
been premature to rip out the nav tabs on the server side (even if it
saved us dev time).  Those tabs were doing good work.  Now all we have
is that experimental nav-thingy, and it's stretched to fill the gap.
We don't know if it will be kept.  It's just a hack, and other
pollserver developers have to OK it.

I agree we need to keep the pollserver/pollwiki functional - but only
roughly so.  The main technical risks - and therefore the development
priorities - are in positioning the big, new components.  For the
existing polling facilities per se, there aren't many big pieces left
to place.  Maybe just these:

 a) Maps for users to see which parts of the planet are covered by
    pollwikis/areas (semi-tech)

 b) Proper domain name for the central multi-area pollwiki/streetwiki,
    and the rules of ownership for that (non-tech)

    others?

The biggest pieces of all are the register, vote mirroring, and
discussion media.  As soon as the register is in place, there'll be
more big stuff, much of it non-tech/political:

 p) Election of registrars

 q) Surveying streets for the streetwiki

 r) Canvassing for registrants

 s) Establishing working procedures and rules

    others?

I just mention these in stepping back from the details.  They're
mostly non-tech things, out of my reach.  If the non-techs reach for
them (I ask) can the techs provide the needed support without losing
momentum on the tech pieces?  This is maybe a question for the bazaar.
(Come to think of it, where is that bazaar?  :-)