(1) Confusing user registration in wiki

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Mon Jul 19 07:46:05 EDT 2010

Michael Allan schrieb:
> Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
>
>> If I create an account, then logout again and then login: 1. My
>> Firefox automatically fills in the email-field with my username
>> (like before)
>>

> I can't replicate this, Thomas.  When I go to log back in, my Firefox
> offers to fill in the email field with the email address (as
> expected), and not with the username.  Can you confirm that it does
> the opposite?  It's concievably a cache problem on your end (hit
> refresh).

Yes, sorry, the problem was on my end.
> Yes, the email field can take only an email address.  It cannot take a
> username.  Are you suggesting that we create accounts with the email
> field (as now), but still login with a username field (as before)?

No, its perfect now.

> I think we can improve the message.  It's probably somewhere in here:
> http://u.zelea.com/w/Special:AllMessages

I changed the page http://u.zelea.com/w/MediaWiki:Noname
The message works on my computer now. If I put in a wrong email-adress
it tells me so.

> It's not actually visible because we obfuscate it.  I think it's also
> obfuscated everywhere in Votorola, these days.  Maybe we could just
> remove the warning from Votorola?

But its only obfuscated for computers, not really for humans. But Google
also doesnt warn, so maybe this is common practice. BTW, I like Googles
obfuscation method, its safer than ours.

Thomas