(1) Confusing user registration in wiki

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue Jul 20 05:51:53 EDT 2010

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> I changed the page http://u.zelea.com/w/MediaWiki:Noname The message
> works on my computer now. If I put in a wrong email-adress it tells
> me so.

Looks good!

> > It's not actually visible because we obfuscate it.  I think it's
> > also obfuscated everywhere in Votorola, these days.  Maybe we
> > could just remove the warning from Votorola?
>
> But its only obfuscated for computers, not really for humans. But
> Google also doesnt warn, so maybe this is common practice. BTW, I
> like Googles obfuscation method, its safer than ours.

Not quite true.  They only obfuscate against computers (same as we).
Humanoids may click on the elispsis (...) and get the full email
address.

But I agree, their obfuscation against bots is stronger than ours.  We
can't easily copy them.  It would complicate the results verification,
and other facilities.  Also, we're hoping the spam problem is
eventually solved, so that people no longer hesitate to publish their
email addresses (an absurd situation).