(1) Confusing user registration in wiki

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jul 17 04:16:28 EDT 2010

This is now ready (solution A).  To try it out, first log yourself
out, then log back in:  http://u.zelea.com/w

If you see any bugs, please let me know.

>> So everyone agrees this is problem #1:
>> http://u.zelea.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup
>> Two solutions are:
>>
>>  A. Getting rid of the Username field, because it's redundant with the
>>     E-mail field.  (Thomas proposed this).  I could do it as a proper
>>     MediaWiki extension, so other pollwiki admins can easily duplicate
>>     our setup.
>>
>>     (a week, low risk)

Help pages have yet to be updated.  User registration will no longer
require any documentation.  (In fact, it's easier than vanilla
MediaWiki.  There's one less field to enter:
http://u.zelea.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin&type=signup

Users who registered without proper "mailish" names can no longer log
in to their accounts: http://u.zelea.com/w/Special:ListUsers

If anyone is curious, the code is here:
http://u.zelea.com/system/host/u/var/www/localhost/htdocs/mediawiki-c/extensions/MailishUsername

Thanks to Thomas for suggesting this solution,