(1) Confusing user registration in wiki

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jul 10 13:55:45 EDT 2010

Thomas von der Elbe wrote:
> How about:
>
> C. Single sign-on for the pollwiki and just Votorola? Average users of
> the other poll-servers will usually not come to the pollwiki anyway.
> Only those powerusers who want to match poll-identifiers. Ofc in the
> future A. would be best to make free range voting as conveniant as
> possible but just for now ... How long would this take to code?

This is actually what I meant by B, Thomas.  Initially, B would affect
only Votorola, because only Votorola is actually hooked into the
common pollwiki.  Other pollservers could hook in later, including (if
their developers/admins wished) joining the single-sign on cluster.
But that would always be optional.

> >  B. Single sign-on for the pollwiki and all pollservers (etc) that
> >     service it, in the local cluster.
> >
> >     (several weeks, somewhat risky)

It's difficult because it has to be a separate service with proper
APIs, well documented, and so forth; and both Votorola and the
pollwiki would have to be "trained" to use it.

It's risky because we don't know how much training MediaWiki is going
to take. Things may get hairy in the login code, with all its
dependants/dependencies.