(BUG) Minor layout glitches in talk HUD

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Mar 27 08:47:24 EDT 2013

conseo said:
> Reproduced. Do you regularly test for different font sizes? I
> haven't thought about this explicitly before, although I start to
> see the implications on the Ui.

Yes.  At this stage of dev, I don't do it for accessibility reasons
(e.g. folks with poor vision), but just to help me uncover layout
bugs.  I also shrink the browser window to ensure it's more-or-less
readable even at smartphone sizes.

> > Also (again minor) the font styling of the top HUD seems to differ
> > between left and right.  Right looks smaller, or more condensed,
> > or something.  Or maybe it's just the bold weight on the left
> > mnemonic that makes me a little cross-eyed (normal face is maybe
> > cleaner here).
>
> Calculated CSS in firebug shows same values except font-weight. It
> also looks more "condensed", but it is not smaller. A less bold
> (font-weight: 600) does not change my type-face, it has the same
> degree of "boldness". Maybe I should avoid it?

Yes, maybe normal face for both mnemonics (no bold).  The glyphs will
be cleaner that way.  The left already has a brighter colour, and
that's probably enough for emphasis.

Mike