[MG] Wise Use of Funds Raised

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Mon Jun 17 07:45:04 EDT 2013

Hi, Ned. The idea I have been floating on the Votorola list is just that: an idea I'm mulling over. I brought it up prematurely because of the post Rhett had made there. But it is all about resources.

Currently, the resources I have available for Metagov are tiny scraps of time I manage to eke out between the heavy demands of my job, my business, and caring for a sick family-member.

I would prefer for Metagov to be my full-time job, but the only practical way for me to make that happen is to organize it as an American non-profit corporation. Then I could work up to spending significant amounts of time writing grant proposals to foundations in the hopes of building up a treasury which we could then use to fund publicity efforts as well as to fund coding projects (plus I could work on making back-end improvements such as expanding on the limitations of the list server).

I've repeatedly floated the idea of creating a formal organization, but I've had a lot of trouble with the idea of making it an American company. It just seems wrong for our group to be tied to one country. Especially the United States, where relatively few of our members reside and where the tax laws are intrusive and burdensome. There's also a lot of legal work to be done to figure out if we can create a non-profit which is governed not by a board of directors but by collaborative governance. On the other hand, the U.S. is the place where a large bulk of the moneyed foundations reside; and generally they only fund American non-profits ("501c3's").

Rather than figuring out what to do with the scarce resources we have now, I would love the opportunity to grow them into a more formidable stash. I am open to ideas, suggestions, alternative thinking, etc.