Vote track HUD + true candidate size + BUG

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jan 5 01:27:34 EST 2013

This is to announce two new features for the vote track, plus a
related bug that I ask others to confirm.

Thomas von der Elbe said:
> Then I think, it would be good, if I mouse over the vote-track, to
> have the same behaviour as if I mouse over the poll-track, i.e. a
> little window with the name of the voter attached to the
> mouse-pointer. In this track probably better below the
> mouse-pointer. You suggested this imo, when we spoke last. The only
> disadvantage here is on a position page, if I scroll down, this
> window would cover some of the position, but I think it is worth the
> consistency in usage.

(1) Heads up display (HUD).  You can see it when traversing the vote
track, e.g. here: http://zelea.com/w/G/p/sandbox

It behaves differently than the poll track HUD.  It rides vertically
with the mouse.  This is because the vote track has a relatively small
cursor that's difficult to see and therefore to guide along the track.
So the HUD tries to help out by behaving like a big cursor.

What do you think of it?  Does it feel okay, or not?

(2) True candidate size.  Here's a good place to see it:
http://zelea.com/w/Sys/p/sandbox

The candidate node (far right) is now proportionately sized, like the
voter nodes.  If it's too big to fit, then it appears in broken form.
Thomas contributed to the design and is acknowledged in the code:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/s/gwt/stage/vote/CandidateV.html
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/s/gwt/stage/vote/BreakableNodeV.html

(3) The HUD is broken under Firefox 17 and/or Windows on draft pages,
e.g. here: http://zelea.com/w/User:Frank-FlippityNet/Sys/p/sandbox
It fails to paint (HUD invisible) unless you force a repaint, e.g. by
scrolling with the mouse wheel.  Can others replicate this bug, or no?
For which OS and browser version?  Here's what I have so far:

   Chromium 25 / Linux     Okay
   Firefox 16  / Linux     Okay
   Firefox 17  / Windows   Bug

   (if you don't see it immediately, then try doing a refresh and
   reopening the browser window)

Please report any other Firefox or Chrome bugs you see.