Vote track

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Fri Jun 8 04:55:24 EDT 2012

Thomas von der Elbe said:
> Ah, the animation is very nice! And it makes it all a lot clearer.
> Concerning the size of the arrow furthest to the right: if you make
> it the same size, which it gets, when you click it, this would in
> some cases take a lot of space, but would be very clear. Another
> (not so very clear) way would be to make it really small, same size
> in every case, but make the arrow look like somehow interrupted,
> like broken in the middle, so everybody knows, it doesn't have its
> right size yet. Just an idea.

Thanks Thomas, I think it's a good idea.  (We're talking about the
candidate view.  You can see it here if you navigate upstream:
http://zelea.com/w/G/p/sandbox

        votersV                    peersV            candidateV
            \                        |                  /
                          |                        |
                     flow volume              flow volume

For some candidates, a true, representative view will be smaller than
the broken view.  I guess we should show the true size for those:

                                         big candidate, broken view
                                                       \

                                                     /
                                          small candidate, unbroken

The Wicket count pages are now interactive with the vote track:
http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Votespace?p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-bg-ZeleaCom
You might have to hit refresh to see the new styling.  Things to note:

  * Running the mouse across the track hightlights the nodes in the
    votespace scene below, and vice versa.

  * Nodes in the scene are now sorted by dart sector.  This is not an
    improvement for the scene itself (it looks worse), but I think the
    old design has to bend to the new here, which is overall better.

  * No animated transitions.  I tried but it's hard with the page
    changing underneath and the track being recreated.  I figured it's
    not worth the effort for these old, legacy pages.

The rank page there is less interesting.  It does nothing fancy:
http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Rank?1&p=G!p!sandbox&u=Test-bg-ZeleaCom

There's also this: http://zelea.com:8080/v/w/Poll?p=G!p!sandbox
It's rarely used.  Things to note there:

  * Track animation is enabled.

  * The tab links (Vote and Rank) obey changes in the track.  You can
    navigate and then shift pages without losing your place.

Please report any bugs you see (Firefox or Chrome).  Next I'll do the
new prototype votespace: http://zelea.com/y/vw/xf/#c=DV&s=G!p!sandbox