Mini-beta development estimate

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Jun 9 06:17:49 EDT 2012

I was asked offlist for an estimate.  Here's what I figure:

      Facility                              Days  Delivery
      ------------------------------------  ----  --------

  1.  Difference shadows in draft pages       9   19 June
      controlled by vote track.

  2.  Difference bridge interactive with      6   25 June
      vote track.

  3.  Pinups in draft pages.                 10    5 July

      Here all the UI components are
      deployed and it is ready for die
      hard users.

  4.  Automated creation of initial          12   17 July
      position drafts.

  5.  Track width bug (vote track,            7   24 July
      Chrome).

  6.  Single sign-on. **                     22   16 Aug.

  7.  Count corrections on stage.            12   28 Aug.

      Here the UI is beta quality,
      suitable for casual users.

That gives us a beta UI on an alpha prototype.  We can then recommence
alpha trials.  The trials themselves cannot be estimated.  Most likely
they will fail several times before they succeed.  It then comes down
to a question of whether the architecture (the design of the theatre
stage, and to a lesser extent what's behind it) is strong enough and
flexible enough to absorb the shock of being "hammered into shape".