[MG] Difference bridge layout proposal

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Tue Feb 14 13:39:09 EST 2012

Hi,

I have tried to make the horizontal difference bridge layout easier to
understand while adding all of Mike's information (1) except the poll track.
I'll take you through a short session on the bridge and explain my proposals
on the way:

1) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8a.xht
Come to the bridge, e.g. by clicking on a link in a forum post/email. Poll
type and title is shown in the left caption. Poll id is in the right caption.
Some tracks are activated by default on the xf toolbar, here the progress
track and the communications feed track. I have created smilies for that. The
colouring of the xf toolbar matches identities on the bridge below and doesn't
interfere with the red tones used to separately colour differences. Difference
#3 has already been patched in a previous session.

2) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8b.xht
Show the footings. I have aligned them ascending, to emphasize that it is a
different dimension (orthogonal information) and also underline the direction
of votespace. Currently I feel like making these votespace footings default as
Mike has.
Clarification problem (I have to skype with Mike): I am not yet sure how the
left buttons in the xf toolbar are expected to behave, I have modelled them as
toggle icons emphasizing which information is currently shown.

Parallel voters for Ed. and Bu. are left out for now to avoid confusion. You
can directly navigate to other differences by hitting the white difference
symbols on the left of Mi. and on the right of Ed. Do you think this is handy?

3) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8c.xht
Click (pin) a communication element. The toolbar icon for communication
(bubble) is highlighted and the sender of the post is shown on the right
caption. Either the communication bubble icon or the text itself opens the
original post in a new tab.

4) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8d.xht
Ed logs in. The handle for this is missing at the moment in the xf-toolbar,
but I suppose it is meant to work that way with single-signon for the mini-
beta. (2) Ed. bridges the second difference, text and bridge-button
immediately turn green and the patch operation is previewed.

5) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8e.xht
Ed hovers the first difference and all communication items relating to this
difference are highlighted in its colour in the feed track. This is to give an
idea why we need to separate colour spaces between xf and other sites and in
general how highlighting helps to underline the connections. Hovering a head
in the feed can also highlight all related (linked in post) differences on the
bridge.

6) http://whiletaker.homeip.net/mockups/diffbridge/8/8f.xht
Tooltips are shown the same way Mike has proposed for xf. On the bridge we can
use default tooltips aligned to the hovering cursor to explain actions.

Note: You can open the svg in inkscape and activate layers to play around
more. Feel free to post improved mockups in svg!

Problems:
1) Obviously there is a lot information. At least three dimensions are in
there: Differences between two texts, Votespace and communication history. Not
shown is the history of differences, which could be configured in another
track. Some smart ideas to strip out more details without losing core
information? Maybe we don't need votespace?

2) Maybe the slider checkbox as shown in 8d is overkill. I have tried to
combine the touch-friendly checkboxes with appropriate symobls and arrows. One
could also use the simple default checkbox with a check sign instead of a
cross.

conseo

(1) http://zelea.com/project/votorola/s/gwt/stage/_/mock/diff-1.xht
(2) http://zelea.com/w/User:4consensus_WebDe/G/p/rovn