Stuff to maybe discuss at this juncture

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Dec 8 10:04:51 EST 2012

Hi Thomas, (cc Metagov)

> > (I wanted to talk about this, but I need to find a new headset
> > first.  My old one died.)
>
> Yes, lets talk!

One thing I hope we can discuss is the development of the practice.
How do we approach it?  My own approach in the past now seems wrong.
I thought we needed people to deliberately push across communities.  I
thought these people would form the core, or vanguard of the practice.
But now it seems the formal system (including the new plug-in
framework) can carry the burden of cross-forum extension itself, just
as it carries the burden of scale.  So we might be able to factor out
extent and scale from the practice, to some degree.

Imagine you're a root candidate (in Votorola terms) holding together a
large tree.  Like here, for example, but the numbers are millions:
http://zelea.com/project/votorola/home.html .  Where is that different
in practice from a small tree of 10 voters?  Or better yet, where is
it not different?  Where it's not different, we might be able to
pioneer the practice in small, relatively isolated communities.

Tensions threaten, for instance, to pull the branches of the tree
apart.  What keeps them together despite the tension?  Or what brings
them together again after they've separated?  How does this dynamic
relate to the parallel dynamic of decision making in periodic snap
votes, e.g. in the decision assembly (which might just be us wearing
different hats)?

Stuff like that.  We could learn the answers hands on.

Mike