Group definition in transitive vote flows

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sun Apr 29 16:14:46 EDT 2012

Thomas and I skyped about this a few days ago.  I agree that an
impersonal candidate will be better than a full candidate in some
situations.  We spoke of the attendant problems:

 (a) How to formalize the impersonal candidate?  This would be a break
     with the current design, where "a candidate always has two
     aspects: an active aspect and a personal aspect.  The active
     aspect is the proposed act.  The personal aspect is the person
     who proposes, or represents, or embodies the act."
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/d/theory.xht#candidate

     This is a technical problem.  As I mentioned already, we can
     probably create a special type of user/count-node with a single-
     -cast weight of 0.  It could not contribute volume to the vote
     flow, but it could carry and redirect that flow.
     http://zelea.com/project/votorola/_/javadoc/votorola/a/count/CountNode.html#singleCastCount()

 (b) What mechanism powers the impersonal candidate?  Who or what
     "pulls the strings" that replace the agency of the person in
     representing the group to others, editing the common text, voting
     on behalf of the group, and so forth?

     I guess this is a social problem.  It is probably better to leave
     it for the group itself to sort out.

Thomas said:
> So one result of this for me: the creation of a position is the main
> entry-point into a poll, not the voting. This should be valued more
> in the software. Maybe we could give each drafter a vote for his
> draft and count it ... feels also natural. Or if the count-engine is
> strictly for delegation, then maybe count the drafters in the wiki,
> so we have a number of participants in the poll. (Again, I'd rather
> encourage them not to vote, but just to draft in the beginning.)

My current plan is to subordinate vote casting to draft creation.  So:

  1. Newcomer N is looking at a scene in which actor A happens to be
     on stage.

  2. N clicks "my draft".

  3. Software asks, "Do you want to create a draft?"

     "Yes"

  4. "You were looking at A's position.  Would you like your initial
     draft to be a copy of A's draft?"

     "Yes"

  5. "What about your initial vote?  Should it be:"

      (a) a copy of A's vote?
      (b) for A?
      (c) for someone else?
      (d) for nobody?

But this is problematic, isn't it?  N will be alarmed at this point
and unsure how to respond.  The safest bet seems to be (d), but
actually that's the worst choice.  If you don't cast an initial vote,
then the tools won't work the same as they do for others.  We cannot
easily correct that in the software.  Voting is a crucial formality
for large polls, and we can't easily have different software for small
polls.  But what if we add something like this to step 5, instead:

     "A recommends that you choose (a).  A says, 'Welcome N!  We
      recommend voting for the common text because the software will
      be easier to use if your vote initially matches ours.  Don't
      worry, you can always shift your vote later!'"

So a voting recommendation for newcomers.  You encode it in your
position page and it's shown to anyone who creates a draft off yours.
The idea is to ease entry for newcomers by reducing the barriers.