Group definition in transitive vote flows

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sun Apr 22 06:51:40 EDT 2012

Lately I have been thinking a lot about how to start a poll. I always
thought, I had a clear picture of how Votorola could be used and behave
with large numbers of voters and imagined it to be the same for low
numbers in the beginning of a poll. I think I was wrong in both regards.

Because, if it was natural, nobody would have to vote in the beginning.
People just meet and express their positions to each other. No voting,
no delegation, but lots of talk and exchange of ideas, positions, ...
Ofc, at some point people will want to group together to express their
common view. But naturally it would not be behind a delegate. (A
delegates only purpose is to represent a group to the next deeper
delegate. But in the core group there is no further delegate, so he is
useless.) Naturally they would just draft a common position together,
still each having their own positions too. Just a group of people
together editing a wiki-page or a pirate-pad (ether-pad). Now this page
could run under Mikes proposed group-email-adress. At some point the
discussion will get to crowded, to noisy ... so the natural solution
would be: "People! Group together behind positions and choose
representatives! Only those with at least 2 votes are from now on
allowed to talk and to edit the common page!" and so on up the numbers
and up the tree.

This extreme case of the beginning of a poll makes a problem visible,
which I didn't see before: the role of delegate which himself wants to
be voter too. Two possibly contradictory roles. With the creation of
such group-positions, these roles are seperated, as they belong. One can
be elected as the groups representative, but at the same time remain its
voter.

So one result of this for me: the creation of a position is the main
entry-point into a poll, not the voting. This should be valued more in
the software. Maybe we could give each drafter a vote for his draft and
count it ... feels also natural. Or if the count-engine is strictly for
delegation, then maybe count the drafters in the wiki, so we have a
number of participants in the poll. (Again, I'd rather encourage them
not to vote, but just to draft in the beginning.)

Thomas