[MG] Adding a theatre stage to the wiki, for Votorola users

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Thu Apr 19 08:23:21 EDT 2012

Thanks Ed,

Ed Pastore said:
> This is really excellent, Michael et al. Since I have a competing
> draft, I see that the "my draft" button works for me and leads to:
> http://metagovernment.org/w/index.php?title=User:Ed_Pastore/draft_rules
> although from there, I can't click on the Draft button.

Right, because you're already on the draft.  If you selected a person
using the mini-votespace controls (left), then it would be re-enabled.

> (Note, any reason why it goes there instead of the more friendly
> http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Ed_Pastore/draft_rules url?)

Interestingly the wiki blindly accepts this at face value:
http://metagovernment.org/w/index.php?title=User:Ed_Pastore/draft_rules
But redirects this to the friendlier alias:
http://metagovernment.org/w/index.php?title=User:Ed+Pastore/draft+rules

So I guess I was encoding it wrong.  It should be OK now.  Fixed here:
http://zelea.com/var/db/repo/votorola/rev/be5e722e33fd

> I very much like the hover-text labels on the icons, so I have some
> idea of what they are. Would it be possible to build it out further
> into a label-plus-description so the uninitiated (which is basically
> everyone at this point) can have a deeper understanding of each icon
> just by hovering over it? As the tool gains in sophistication, you
> could eventually make the description be an option that users could
> turn off.

Definitely - anything to make it more usable.  Maybe like these?

  * Poll
    Poll - read about the norm or election at issue

  * Votes
    Votes - see the votes, or cast a vote of your own

  * Difference
    Difference - compare the two drafts

  * Message
    Message - read what was posted to the discussion

  * Actor
    Actor - visit his/her home page

  * Draft
    Draft - read the actor's position draft

  * My draft
    My draft - view or edit your own draft

  * Difference vs. my draft
    Difference vs. my draft - compare this draft to mine

Can anyone suggest improvements?

Can anyone contribute a translation?  Please let me know, I'll point
you to the files that need translating.  (Currently we have only
English for Crossforum Theatre.)

> Concerning decentralization, what role does [zelea] play in this?
> The poll button leads to http://zelea.com/w/G/p/m00
> Is that simply another configurable point as any other?

That's where the poll is defined.  A poll is always defined in a
pollwiki (top left): http://zelea.com/project/outcast/_overview.xht

Metagov's wiki is not a pollwiki, so the link is external.  A given
Metagov draft can (in principle) be defined in any pollwiki, but in
practice we don't support multiple pollwikis yet; we still have some
work to do there.  All we have is the reference pollwiki for Outcast,
which is currently running under my personal domain name (zelea.com).