[MG] Bubble layout

Thomas von der Elbe ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de
Sun May 8 05:37:15 EDT 2011

Hallo,

On Sun, 08 May 2011 2:11, Alexander Praetorius wrote:
> Next thing is... a username could show onMouseOver.

I favour this over all the other solutions! And together with the fact
that the speech-bubbles always point to one of two mnemonics makes it
really clear, that those are persons, like Conseo said.

On Sun, 08 May 2011 1:37, conseo wrote:
> Now I need some help/feedback for the current layout.
>
> 1.
> I calculate the color for each poll (title) and each user mnemonic out of the
> string, so it is fixed on all machines at all times and still calculated in the
> client layout code. I have selected a broad but still small set of colors to
> get a maximum contrast and distinction, but looking at the interface right
> now, I think the colors should be much more subtle.

I agree, they are to much somehow.

> 1.1 What color sheme should I use then?

Sorry, I dont know.

> 1.2 Should I use the same sheme for the titles and the user names or should I
> split it in two parts of the possible spectrum?

Splitting is a good idea imo.

> Or should I avoid colors in
> the title or in the user mnemonics?

No.

> 3.
> The poll title currently points to the position of the author of the message,
> where you then can find a link to the poll as well. The wiki footings don't
> make that very obvious atm., so I guess users will have difficulties to
> understand that they are on a position page and won't quickly find out about
> the poll page. Thomas suggested on IRC to use the mnemonics to point to the
> postition pages and the title to point to the poll page.
> 3.1 Should I point the mnemonics to the position pages and the title to the
> poll page? While this might sound like a good idea, I think that the closest
> relevant information of the communication happening is the poster's position,
> which he tries to debate, while the poll definition is not at the heart of the
> discussion.

I still stand behind my initial suggestion. I feel, the headline of the
bubble, which is the poll-name atm, should not link to one of two
positions. Because as a headline it somehow embraces all thats below it.
So it should embrace both users. Somehow it would be cool, if it linked
to the diff of the two, but thats confusing too. Most important for me
is, that I can reach each of the positions of the guys by clicking on
their names.

> 3.2 Will new users understand that they can find the position page via the
> mnemonics? As long as they are a bit cryptic, new users might completely miss
> the position pages and therefore not understand what is really happening.

Together with the show-onMouseOver it should be clear enogh imo.

I very much like how this is developing! :-)

Thomas