[MG] ideas for a proposal for a city mayor

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Tue May 3 04:53:16 EDT 2011

Armando Vieira wrote:
> We would like to work on 3 levels:
> I - a collaborative framework to discuss the strategy of growth of the city
> II - a tool to help citizens to created directives (kind of municipal
> laws) to be submitted to the elected board - is Votorola ready to roll?

Unfortunately we can't estimate our beta readiness till after we pass
alpha tests.  It feels like we're close (I agree with Thomas), but we
can't be sure.  Tests start in a few weeks and run for 3 months
minimum.  Till then, we're still in an experimental stage.

> III -  a tool to help "educated" citizens, to show them the implications
> of decisions and complexities of some laws.
>
> What I like to ask this forum
> 1) what open source tools are ready to be implemented on such a project
> 2) what suggestions do you have concerning our approach

As far as I know, there's no toolset that can do I and II at large
scales.  You couldn't have a whole city (say) engaged in an issue of
real interest.  There's nothing's strong enough for that.  I've heard
of tools/processes that can engage small, representative "citizens
groups" in advisory roles, but I don't know the details.  Maybe others
in the list know?