[MG] Difference feed setup

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Wed Mar 9 12:42:37 EST 2011

(a quick update)

A rough cut of Conseo's diff feed is now running.  It's running in a
test loop, so it isn't quite ready for users.  But it works.  For
instance, imagine you and another drafter are discussing a difference
here in the list, and you paste the formal diff URL into your message:
http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/D/?a=4047&aR=2720&b=4044&bR=2721

The message is then summarized and fed (twitter-like) into the theatre
app, where it's projected by whatever map clients the users have
enabled there: http://metagovernment.tuxfamily.org/crossforum/#c=DG

The message summary is also linked back to the original discussion in
the list archive, so users can easily explore the context if they
wish.  This is the backbone of crossforum theatre.  It's what enables
the theatre app to extend across multiple discussion sites and media.

         Theatre app

        /    |     \
       /     |      \

    Lists            Web     etc.
            IRC     forums
          channels

In addition, the database behind the diff feed will support the final
linkage (4) between the discussion media and the drafting media, via
the intermediation of the difference bridge:

          (1)          (2)

   Lists       Bridge       Wikis
    etc   <--          <--   etc

So a visitor who happens to land on a draft in the wiki (like
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Michael_Allan/draft) is only two
steps away from joining the discussions that inform that draft, and
others like it.  This is the crucial entry path that Ed pointed out
just recently, and we're now close to completing it.

It feels great to see this working!  I really think it's a milestone.