[MG] Voting advice application

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Sun Jun 12 08:41:29 EDT 2011

Welcome, Alex!

I want to point out some linkages and possible issues here.

First, is your app deeply tied to Facebook? Personally I have a lot of
reservations about putting a crucial element of democracy into the
hands of a private party. We do that here in parts of US with
electronic voting machines, and the question rises again and again as
to whether or not those private companies are rigging the elections.

My understanding is that you use Facebook for identity validation. But
of course, people can create more than one Facebook account. As an
alternative, I'd like to point you to Michael's invention of the
Streetwiki, which seems more reliable, totally open, and, well really
quite clever:
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Streetwiki

I also want to invite you to check out DemocracyLab (represented here
by Mark Frischmuth), which may be particularly interesting to you. It
basically takes the opposite approach to the same end. Your system
starts with position statements and derives people's values from their
individual's values by taking them through a structured process of
evaluating generic value propositions. It then helps them evaluate
specific position statements using that value map (Mark, did I get
that right?). I don't know if you can find usable synergies there, but
it's worth at least thinking about for a moment.

And I also want to stress what conseo said yesterday. It is great to
allow people to express their opinion, but we very much want to go
beyond that and help people come together when they have a difference
of opinion. Right now, people who have different views have to take
sides and fight for dominance on the battlefield of politics. Society
would be so much better served if that battlefield were instead an
open-minded negotiation where people with opposing views were actively
looking for ways to work together in order to get solutions that work
for everyone. The two most active and relevant apps here are Votorola
and Vilfredo. There may be ways for you to pull both of them into your
application, or to coordinate with them.

One last thing. You mention that Finland has over 200 vaalikone. Is
there any opportunity for those to be concatenated into a meta-
vaalikone (is that a valid use of the word?) that lets people come
together regardless of which one they started on? I am of course,
trying to bring in the crossforum project here.
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Crossforum