[MG] Tunisia and activism in general

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Tue Jan 25 07:51:51 EST 2011

This thread is turning into somewhat of a wall of text. I have to
admit, some parts I only skimmed. But I think I can make two general
comments...

I am pretty leery of even thinking about implementing any of our
solutions in a place like Tunisia. They are in turmoil, and they need
help bad. I think they are in desperate need of freedom from the
tyranny of leaders, but I don't think there exists any tool that can
give them governance good enough to work today. If we managed to get
something in place there, I fear it would end up being a catastrophe
and turn people off to us for a very, very long time.

When I'm arguing for collaborative governance, the only scenario that
consistently works is one where it grows naturally from small
communities up to larger and larger scales. If a nation tried to
implement it without any surrounding context, they would likely be
devoured by their neighbors and enemies, and/or descend into a
terrible kind of anarchy. Just my opinion.

If we are looking for groups to implement anything of ours now, I
think the best candidates are start-up groups, especially non-profits.
Even with them, we face the same hurdle that Metagovernment itself has
been unable to address: is there a way to gain recognition as a formal
organization without having designated, empowered leaders? Until we
can figure that one out, then good targets might be unconferences and
informal interest groups.

Concerning messaging, that is the general point behind the homepage
redesign:
http://www.metagovernment.org/wiki/Main_Page/2010-redesign

I haven't been promoting it recently because I don't want to detract
from all the other active threads, but this is a great start in the
right direction of making our message more readily approachable. I'm
still leaning toward #8, but I think all of them could use the help of
some graphics to make them both more appealing and to have a better
immediate impact.