[MG] Visualization problems for crossforum theatre

Pietro Speroni di Fenizio pietros at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 06:42:54 EST 2011

Sent from my iPad

On 02/gen/2011, at 10:55, Thomas von der Elbe <ThomasvonderElbe at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I like Pietros idea of positioning the polls in the map via tags. So the environmental polls are grouped together, and so on. But then activity and consensus couldnt be on x- and y-axis anymore. A nice solution to show activity could be this: When an event in a poll happens (e.g. a vote shift) the blue circle around the dot lights up, but unlike now fades out much slowlier. If a new event happens in the same poll, before it has faded out completely, the blue circle gets thicker again, and so on with each event. So the more active a poll is, the thicker the blue circle around it will be.

Vilfredo is a bit problematic on this, and we have already spoke about this.
But also in general I think changes happen through the days. Hardly you would be able to see them as they are happening. Unless when you speak about "fading slowly" you mean, along multiple days or weeks.

Also if people are allowed to tag questions, your system would have yet another chance of becoming an index of the eGov experiences around the world.

Also something in the color or the shape or the image should suggest if a question is open to all or only to some. For exampke only people living in a region has been allowed to vote on...

Also the language the question is running should be considered. So people can filter out questions that are not understandable to them.

With great joy of Owen, I think we really should come out with an XML standard with which questions should be posed around the world.

Also another would be an XML standard for proposals, and a third one for votes. Of course the proposals one should have a field refering to the question(s) it is trying to answer. And should offer a code for the voters. And so on.

The xml should support as much as possible decentralization of information (example, tags refering to a questionmust be tag sets, but anyone can write them. So the result is a tagcloud).

> I also agree with Marcos, that there are many perspectives on the same data. So maybe we can have a switch below the map, to show different views?

+1

> One view I personally would like to have is a geographical one: Have a world map and countries light up, depending on their activity in e-dem. Zoom into Germany and see its cities light up. And once I have zoomed into my city, it would be perfect to switch to the tag-based view.

+1