[MG] Difference feed setup

conseo 4consensus at web.de
Mon Feb 28 09:57:37 EST 2011

> Hey Conseo,
Hey,

> I didn't get very far.  I committed my changes:
> http://zelea.com/project/votorola/a/crossforum/crossforum.xht#diff

Ok.

> I think I took a wrong turn at Albuquerque.  I figured I'd store the
> harvester's incoming messages on my mailserver, but then I realized it
> doesn't have IMAP or POP, so I'd have to install Courier.  That seems
> like too much work.

Well you need postfix as a mailer anyway right?

> I was going to ask if the harvester could read from a local mailbox,
> or take delivery directly from the mailserver.  But most admins won't
> have a mailserver already running, so scratch that.

I already have courier running here. I can set it up for you, if you like to,
it shouldn't be a lot of work.

I have only IMAP enalbed, since POP3 is crippled anyway if you want to run
your own mailserver.

I have tweaked a Debian Lenny (courier-imap  4.4.0-2) default config to my
needs quickly (with a howto back then some years ago). My imapd (configfile) for
courier reads (without comments):

ADDRESS=192.168.0.1001 # ;-)
PORT=143
MAXDAEMONS=40
MAXPERIP=20
PIDFILE=/var/run/courier/imapd.pid
TCPDOPTS="-nodnslookup -noidentlookup"
LOGGEROPTS="-name=imapd"
IMAP_CAPABILITY="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT
THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE"
IMAP_KEYWORDS=1
IMAP_ACL=1
IMAP_CAPABILITY_ORIG="IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-
SHA1 AUTH=CRAM-SHA256 IDLE"
IMAP_PROXY=0
IMAP_PROXY_FOREIGN=0
IMAP_IDLE_TIMEOUT=60
IMAP_MAILBOX_SANITY_CHECK=1
IMAP_CAPABILITY_TLS="$IMAP_CAPABILITY AUTH=PLAIN"
IMAP_CAPABILITY_TLS_ORIG="$IMAP_CAPABILITY_ORIG AUTH=PLAIN"
IMAP_DISABLETHREADSORT=0
IMAP_CHECK_ALL_FOLDERS=0
IMAP_OBSOLETE_CLIENT=0
IMAP_UMASK=022
IMAP_ULIMITD=65536
IMAP_USELOCKS=1
IMAP_SHAREDINDEXFILE=/etc/courier/shared/index
IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=1
IMAP_TRASHFOLDERNAME=Trash
IMAP_EMPTYTRASH=Trash:7
IMAP_MOVE_EXPUNGE_TO_TRASH=0
SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail
HEADERFROM=X-IMAP-Sender
IMAPDSTART=YES
MAILDIRPATH=.maildir

Mail will be read from ~/.maildir of the user. I also have imapd-ssl configured
accordingly. Authentication works through authmodulelist="authpam" with me, so
you only need to setup a system account.

> Maybe gmail with IMAP enabled?  It won't scale, but it should be OK
> for starters.  I'll look into it tomorrow.
This is how it is supposed to work when you start to install crossforum
somewhere on some webspace not necessarily related to the project. But I am
not a friend of Google as a service provider and it would be likely more
default to run it locally on your own mail server. I have developped it with a
freemail account though.

conseo