[MG] Clearing entry paths for new users

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Sat Feb 12 09:05:31 EST 2011

Ed Pastore wrote:
> Some hopefully constructive criticism...
>
> > ... Note that we now have "diff me" links in the UI ...
>
> In the interests of approachability, instead of "diff me" with
> explanatory text in the <a title>, would you consider having the
> entire text of the title be the link... perhaps with an "expert mode"
> that collapses that long text into just "diff me."

I started out as you suggest, then I tried to do more:

  http://u.zelea.com:8080/v/w/D?b=4047&a=4042&aR=2706&bR=2720

  (hit refresh)

I don't think I succeeded.  It's visually confusing - not sure why.
Maybe with fresh eyes tomorrow I'll see what's wrong.

> > I'm working to clear a path of entry for new users, maybe
> > something like this:
> >
> >  1. Potential user is attracted by drafting chatter in the list
> >     and follows one of the embedded diff links (like above).
>
> Is this a good point of entry? It just shows the diff fragments
> without surrounding context. Shouldn't users be encouraged to start
> on someone's full draft? And/or would it be hard to do a full
> side-by- side, even if most of the content is duplicated?

I agree with your first intuition, the full draft is a natural for
context.  It's indispensible.

Thomas wrote:
> Would the same be possible like above, i.e. have both possibilities?
> Show full text comparison or collapse to diffs only? That would be
> best I guess.

If we go with a full draft, then the problem is reduced to one of
traversal.  We traverse (2) in order to expand the context, then (3)
to collapse it back again.

  List       Bridge      Wiki

Currently only (1) is easily traversible.  In that sense, the bridge
is only 1/4 built.  For a user stranded in the wiki, the crucial
crossing is (3).  Maybe that's the next thing to code?

(I'll reply to other points, soon)